Health and Nutrition
WALK KANSAS - March 28 - May 22, 2021
Let's get moving and celebrate healthy living!
- Co-workers, family members, friends, and neighbors form teams of 4-6 people who will track minutes of physical activity and food choices during the 8-week challenge.
- New this year, if you are an individual without a team, you can compete on the Purple Power Solo Trail.
- Each team identifies a goal, or challenge, it wants to reach based on their level of physical activity.
- Challenge 1: The 8 Wonders of Kansas (435 miles), requires each member to reach the minimum guidelines for physical activity, 2 1/2 hours per week.
- Challenge 2: Cross Country (764 miles), or 4 hours per week for each participant.
- Challenge 3: The Little Balkans to Nicodemus (1200 miles), requiring each person to get 6 hours per week.
- Challenge 4: Purple Power Solo Trail: 8 week individual challenge starting at KSU campus and ending at WSU campus.
- Walking isn't the only activity that counts - biking, swimming, running, weight-lifting, yoga, cross-training, or any activity you do counts. If you like to use your activity tracker as a guide, you can start counting steps after you reach 6,000 steps in one day. For every 2,000 steps above 6,000 steps, you can report 15 minutes of physical activity.
- Participants record daily fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Team members report progress either online, using the app, or to their team captain each Sunday. Team captains then report totals either online or to the Central Kansas Extension Office on the following Monday.
How do I register a team?
Click here to register and log your activity.
You will receive a message by email asking you to complete registration and give your consent to participate. Your captain will be responsible for paying fees for the entire team, so make sure you reimburse your captain for your registration fee ($10).
If you don’t have a team, and would like to join one, go online and register as an individual. The Extension office will connect you with a team that has similar goals.
If you prefer to go solo (not be on a team) select the “solo” option when you register.
Register with paper forms:
Complete the registration form provided by your captain. Return it, along with payment for the program fee ($10), You can log online at walkkansasonline.org or use a paper log.
Registration Deadline- March 28th, 2021
2021 T-shirt options:
Shop Walk KS: https://shopwalkkansas.com/