Health and Nutrition
WALK KANSAS - March 27 - May 21, 2022
Let's get moving and celebrate healthy living!
- Co-workers, family members, friends, and neighbors form teams of 4-6 people who will track minutes of physical activity and food choices during the 8-week challenge.
- New this year, if you are an individual without a team, you can compete on the Purple Power Solo Trail.
- Each team identifies a goal, or challenge, it wants to reach based on their level of physical activity.
- Challenge 1: The 8 Wonders of Kansas! This journey requires each person to get 2 1/2 hours of moderate activity per week.
- Challenge 2: Go cross country from the NE to the SE corner of Kansas, which requires 4 hours of activity per person/week.
- Challenge 3: The Little Balkans to Nicodemus - a trail that takes you through SE Kansas then up to Nicodemus with interesting stops along the way. This requires each person to get 6 hours per person/week.
- Walking isn't the only activity that counts - biking, swimming, running, weight-lifting, yoga, cross-training, or any activity you do counts. If you like to use your activity tracker as a guide, you can start counting steps after you reach 6,000 steps in one day. For every 2,000 steps above 6,000 steps, you can report 15 minutes of physical activity.
- Participants record daily fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Team members report progress either online, using the app, or to their team captain each Sunday. Team captains then report totals either online or to the Central Kansas Extension Office on the following Monday.
How do I register a team?
Click here to register and log your activity.
You will receive a message by email asking you to complete registration and give your consent to participate. Your captain will be responsible for paying fees for the entire team, so make sure you reimburse your captain for your registration fee ($10).
If you don’t have a team, and would like to join one, go online and register as an individual. The Extension office will connect you with a team that has similar goals.
If you prefer to go solo (not be on a team) select the “solo” option when you register.
Register with paper forms:
Complete the registration form provided by your captain. Return it, along with payment for the program fee ($10), You can log online at walkkansasonline.org or use a paper log.
Registration Deadline- April 3, 2022
Shop Walk KS: https://shopwalkkansas.com/